With a few exceptions (e.g., the National Institutes of Health and US Department of Energy) most federal agencies are closed as a result of the government shutdown.
Here are some latest updates for research faculty and support staff pertaining to the government shutdown:
- Faculty members may continue to spend their grant awards. SPA should be able to continue to bill agencies as per award requirement. Note however, supplements and renewals will not be received by the institution. New monies from the federal agencies will not be awarded
- Pending requests (e.g., approvals to re-budget, etc) should be placed on hold and discussed with your GCO in SPA.
- Existing grant reporting and original reporting deadlines are still in effect. Although there may be no one at the agency to review these reports or to answer questions, the PD/PI’s must adhere to their reporting schedule as stated in the grant award and submit on time
Notice of Awards:
- Those SOM/WSU faculty that received a Notice of Grant Award (NOA) should continue with their project and research. Note however, agency staff will not be available to assist or help with questions or unique issues.
- Faculty and staff serving on review panels for an agency that is shut down should not travel during this period and should consider cancelling their travel plans. Note, most agencies will not reimburse lost deposits of airfare, etc.
New Grant Submissions:
- Funding opportunities through Research.gov, NSF Fastlane and Grant.gov with posted deadlines remain in effect although submissions will not be processed until agency operations resume. Again, agency personnel may not be available to answer questions about grant submissions.